Monday, October 27, 2014

George Danzer on making history down under



Few players appear to personify the straightforward thrill of poker, the sheer delight in playing, as George Danzer. His countless interactions with the PokerStars blog have always demonstrated this, always ready with a couple of words, analysis, or simply a fair story.

That proved useful this week for he was set to be bombarded with questions--first for making history as only the sixth player ever to win three WSOP bracelets in a single year, then again, just days later, when he made history all over the place again, achieving something of a dream by becoming the WSOP Player of the Year.

George Danzer WSOP POTY.jpgGeorge Danzer became only the sixth player ever to win three WSOP bracelets in a year

It happened a couple of days ago. Danzer, whose refresh button must by now has been worn thin, have been tracking the progress of Brandon Shack-Harris. The yank had two chances left to overhaul Danzer who, out of both the primary Event and High Roller, could only wait on news from the tournament room.

Before that though the tale was that third bracelet, which Danzer spoke about from Melbourne shortly after the win. It's going to have left him with a large lead, but he was not then able to admit that he wbecause the PoY heir apparent.

"The final table was really hard," said Danzer. "I came in as the short stack and the others players weren't going to offer me free chips. So I needed to win a couple of a flips, after which I USED TO BE capable of play my aggressive style to take a look at to win it. The cards needed to fall in my favour and by chance they did."

It was an unusual situation. Danzer made the trip to Australia to scoring as many PoY points as possible-- admitting later that he'd needed to fold countless hands before the bubble that he'd really desired to play--but it was all in regards to the points.

But even then Danzer, poised to win an award that he said will be the peak of his career, couldn't consider his job done. Then of course, it was.

Danzer spoke to Robin Scherr of the PokerStars Blog.de soon after the PoY result was confirmed.

PSB: George, you actually did it. You are the first German player to win the 'WSOP Player of the Year' award. Where were you, when the verdict was final and what happened?

GD: Actually it was quite unspectacular. Once I busted from the High Roller it meant I MAY lie in for the primary time. I aroused from sleep at 2pm.

Then at breakfast I followed the net updates from the primary Event and the High Roller. After Brandon busted out from both events I ran to the tennis court where Isi [Ismael Bojang] played. It was his birthday and that i promised to cook for him, so we celebrated the entire day and had an excellent time.

George Danzer WSOP APAC.jpgWorth the trip: Danzer in action in Australia

PSB: A COUPLE OF weeks ago you played the WCOOP, without much success. But you saw the series as a preparation for the WSOP. Was this pure optimism?

GD: Not, in any respect. After the exhausting WSOP in Las Vegas I USED TO BE burnt out and took off for an entire month. But then the WCOOP started and that i had some problems getting back into my rhythm. The primary week I played anything but optimal. The second one week was better, but I had bad luck in crucial moments. Within the third week I had an excellent rhythm again and played on an excellent level. Despite the fact that the effects were missing on the end it was an ideal preparation for Australia.

PSB: It was your first trip Down Under and it was mainly to win the POY title. Everyone expected an exhilarating head-to-head race but you and Brandon really took the duel to extremes. Who was your standpoint of the last two weeks?

GD: I knew it might be hard. The fields are smaller than in Vegas and there have been a couple of mixed games scheduled. After my min-cash originally of the series, I USED TO BE sure that Brandon would fight back. I had a method and always knew what number of points I needed, or rather which place I needed to finish.

The dynamic that evolved was really thrilling. Even after the bracelet win I knew that the verdict would only make sure that after me and Brandon have busted out from the High Roller.

PSB: Despite the contest it sort of feels there may be also a friendly relationship between you and Brandon. Were you aware one another before Las Vegas?

GD: No. We first met through the WSOP. Since we were both often deep within the same tournament we were often sitting on the same table and began to talk about hands. I'VE even bought percentages of his action within the Player Championship and we went out to eat a couple of times. Event here in Melbourne he was joining us for dinner after my bracelet win.

After he missed the POY title the disgruntlement was after all huge. But it surely has definitely developed a friendship during the last few months.

PSB: Your big dream was always to win a WSOP bracelet. In recent times you had always let other players go first and took second or third places. Now you won three bracelets in a year and also you are 'WSOP Player of the Year'. Are you now living in a dream world?

GD: I'm still delirious and don't even know if I'll ever use all of it properly. The goal was to win a bracelet since 2005 and that i fought hard once a year. Then it happened and per week later it happened again.

Australia was never at the agenda. Then I USED TO BE here and won another bracelet. That was slightly an excessive amount of and that i will probably never really are aware of it. It is so hard to win a big live tournament and that i had not done so until 2014. Now there are four wins, including three bracelet events.

This is typically like playing golf. You just change one small thing at the swing and suddenly get the results.

PSB: You said that you'd reach the height of your career with the POY title. So you're on top! What comes next?

GD: An important thing is accomplished, that's clear. But after all I'VE the ambition and motivation to ensure these results over the following 5 - 6 years. I've never played better, so there's no want to change much. It is necessary to process these successes. We'll see were that leads.

In addition, one among my main goals has not been reached: The inside track leader board. This tournament series is for my part much more difficult to win than the WSOP, since the fields are even tougher.

PSB: You're now only the sixth player in history to win three bracelets in a single year. Is it important so that you can have these little moments in history, in addition to just success and prize money?

GD: Those little moments are great. I REALLY LIKE to seem up stats online and it brings a very big smile to my face, that i'm listed on probably the most results myself now.

With way to Robin Scherr.

Stephen Bartley is a staff writer for the PokerStars Blog.
TreasureIslandJackpots
Read More... [Source: PokerStarsBlog.com :: PokerStars news]

No comments:

Post a Comment